Saturday, July 4, 2020

Friends of Unity Blog Hoppers, July 2020, Paper Piecing

Oh my goodness friends! I am so excited for this month's cue...paper piecing. I LOVE paper piecing. What about  you?  If  you  have  not tried this  technique,  I  hope our hop inspires you to do so. I look forward to seeing your creations.  Here is our graphic for this month:


Image may contain: text that says 'JULY 2020 BLOG HOP Paper Piecing Friends of Unity'

I created two cards for this hop. Here is the first one:



I have always loved this image from the January 2019 Kit of the Month, beautiful forever & ever. This is my first time using her on a card. When I first received this kit, I immediately stamped her and knew she would look amazing on a card once I decided to use her. As you can see, I paper pieced her window seat. I love window seats. I've always wanted one. I had paper pieced her gown, too, originally, but decided there were too many prints. I decided to use Prima water soluble pastels on her gown and for the rest of the image. The sentiment is from the April 2020 Kit of the Month, hope in uncertainty. This kit has been getting a lot of use...one of my faves. The card base is grey card stock. I added a panel of the striped pattern paper I used on her window seat. I wrapped bluish gray wax cord around the left side of the stitched scalloped die cut. I then added two sparklies. I wish I hadn't. I thought the card needed something else, but I guess not these.

Here is my second card:





This image is so me! I want to see the world. Well, just a few places outside of the United States. I have visited  northern Italy. I so want to go back and see southern Italy. I also want to travel to Egypt, Morocco, Ireland, and Greece, particularly the Greek Isles. And I also want to visit Canada. A friend of mine has shared beautiful pictures of lakes and parks in Canada I would love to see. This is the first time I have used this lovely. She is from the November 2019 Kit of the Month, wonder. I had considered paper piecing her luggage, but I thought an outfit would look better. I still may paper piece the luggage one day. I used water color pencils and colored pencils on her. I have used this sentiment before. It's from the July 2017 SMAK, Wanderlust. I just received this scalloped edge die. I couldn't wait to use it. Now, I have to use the other edge dies in this set from Pink Fresh Studios. I created a kraft card stock base for this card. I added a panel of polka dot paper. I then added a strip of washi with a map design. I then layered a top of a tag onto the washi. I also added a piece of washi at the top of the card.

Make sure you visit my friends. Here are there links:

Crystal

Kim

Eileen

Robyn

me

Jeanie

Alaine

Joyce

Thanks for joining us! Hope to see you again next month...our hop begins the first Saturday of each month.
Take care my friends! STAY SAFE!

48 comments:

  1. Love the two girls that you paper pieced. I love that serene look you gave with your girl in the window seat ( I’ve always wanted a window seat too😁) Love red white and blue patterns in your traveler girl... perfect for today! Happy 4th!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards, Dawn!
    I'd love to visit all the places you mentioned!! Let's go!! LOL (I wish)
    I like the little sparklies :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, such beautiful cards Dawn!! I love the papers you chose and the designs to both cards! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great cards! I love paper piecing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous cards Dawn. Good luck with your travel plans too

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've shared two fantastic cards using this technique. The window seat looks so cozy and I love the patterns you've used for her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very nice work. Thanks for sharing inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely cards and
    the piercing looks
    so unique and pretty.
    Carla from Utah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the paper piecing you did with these images! Pretty cards!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your cards are so lovely! Love those pretty pillows on the first card. The 2nd card is my fave - love her funky, colorful outfit! And it's beautifully designed. I want to travel, too. We were supposed to go to Italy back in May, but obviously, that didn't happen. The Greek Isles are also on our bucket list. Maybe next year!!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becca! Let's cross our fingers for next year!

      Delete
  11. Fun cards! Your paper piecing is fantastic looking! And I really love the color combinations too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful paper piecing on both of these scenes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is my favorite way to paper piece on Unity stamps. Using textured and patterned paper to create the clothes on their ladies. These are fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have actually paper pieced the image in your first card too. I paper pieced her gown and colored the window seat and pillows. I also think that paper piecing all of these items was a bit much. Thanks for sharing your beautiful creations.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Super cute cards! Love them both. I have the window seat stamp you have inspired me to give this a try! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these and what a great idea with paper piecing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the softness of both cards and all the patterns you chose. I love the edge dies, you'll have fun with those. Just beautiful cards and wonderfully designed. I too have wanderlust and can't wait to get back to traveling too! Thank you for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my! Subtle and lovely use of paper piecing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Please post if you ever decide to paper piece the luggage and not the girl. Both of your cards are wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Elizabeth! I will definitely post if I decide to paper piece the luggage.

      Delete
  20. I love both of your cards. The Wanderlust card is especially great and I love the colors you used. Her pants are cool!

    ReplyDelete
  21. These are beautiful Dawn!!!!!!! A technique I still need to try!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Natasha! I can't wait to see your paper pieced creations!

      Delete
  22. Beautifully done!❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

    ReplyDelete